We are well-acquainted with our teeth. For most of us, we feel, use and look at our teeth multiple times per day. But how much do you really know about your dental health? At Gilreath Family Dentistry, we love sharing interesting and quite surprising facts about dentistry.
Did You Know?
- Nearly 25% of adults do not brush their teeth twice a day.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance found in the human body.
- Like fingerprints, tooth prints are unique to each person.
- The average person produces over 100,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime.
- There are over 700 different types of bacteria in your mouth alone. According to Oral ecology (Wikipedia), even those that practice good oral hygiene have 1,000 to 100,000 bacteria living on each tooth surface at a time.
- Your risk of cavities rises to 62% if you drink more than 3 or more cups of soda per day.
- Right-handed people tend to chew food on the right side of their mouth, while left-handed people tend to chew their food on the left side of their mouth.
- Like you tooth prints and fingerprints, your tongue is also unique. No two people share the same tongue print.
- Your smile is powerful. 61% of adults admit that they are attracted to someone based on their smile alone.
- Your teeth can reveal your age, what you eat and where you may have lived as well as disclose insight about your overall physical health.
- According to Hello Products survey, 22 percent of millennials don’t go to the dentist because they hate the taste of dental products.
Want to Learn More About Your Smile?
How much did you learn about your oral health? With a better understanding of your smile, will you take steps to care for it better? If you are avoiding dental care for any reason, call Gilreath Family Dentistry. We can change the way you feel about going to the dentist!
Posted on behalf of Dr. Paul Gilreath IV,