Custom Dental Crowns: The Royal Smile Fix
A dental crown is considered a custom “cap” for a tooth that is broken, cracked, decayed, too weak or unattractive. It covers all visible sides of your tooth and is custom fabricated in shape, size and color. Ideally, your dental crown should blend seamlessly with your existing smile and provide a durable and functional solution for many years to come. In fact, that’s what makes dental crowns such a “royal fix’ – they can be used cosmetically, restoratively or both!
When Are Dental Crowns Used?
Dental crowns are highly versatile, meaning they can be suggested in a variety of different situations. In general, a dental crown can be an ideal solution if:
- You have an area of decay that is too large for a dental filling
- You need to secure a dental bridge
- You need to top a dental implant
- You have a severely cracked or broken tooth
- You had a root canal, and the affected tooth needs reinforcement
- You have a discolored tooth or one with stubborn stains
- You have a misshapen or disproportioned tooth in relation to your overall smile
As mentioned before, your custom crown is tailored just for you. You can even choose the material that your crown is made of. While most patients opt for the durable, natural-looking option of porcelain, some may prefer gold, ceramic, metal alloy or composite resin. Your dentist may have a preference depending on the severity of damage to the underlying tooth.
At Gilreath Dental Associates, getting a dental crown is a comfortable and rewarding process. If you have further questions about your candidacy for a custom crown or to learn more about how we place crowns, please call our Marietta office.
Posted on behalf of Dr. Paul Gilreath IV, Gilreath Dental Associates